What happened after the collision occurred?
- The rider is conscious and unhurt.
- The rider is conscious and having serious injured;
- The driver was unconscious and having seriously injured.
That said above, these would be your first experiences when you were involved with traffic accidents or you were past a traffic accident.
If you are passers-by on the street or you are the first witness who saw the incident, do you what dos and don’ts, and how will you deal with the accident or the victims.
Therefore, in the WHO - Decade of Action program, the 5th pillar is "post-crash response" or emergency response to carry out the first response.
The 5th pillar, post-crash response, or the first emergency response is important because accident victims can experience "traumatic injury" or very serious injuries and life-threatening. In another possible scenario, the victim may only have minor injuries but needs to get help to evacuate into a safe place to avoid further events (escalation factor).
Based on data from the WHO – Decade of Action, period 1 (2010 – 2021), data shows that first emergency responses were carried out incorrectly to the accident victims. People were led by the sense of humanity to help but instead led to more fatal conditions due to a lack of knowledge on the first aid response.
Traffic accident emergency response is divided into 2 main things:
If those had not trained to conduct First Aid Response, then what we can do is as follows:
If you are trained and certified to conduct First Aid Response Level 1 and Level 2, then do a first aid response according to the condition of the victim. If the victim is trapped in the cabin or unreachable victim due to a difficult accident scene, it is better to immediately call the emergency number or the police.
If the victim is experiencing Life-Threatening, secure it and give it enough room to breathe. If you are not a Level 3 First Aider, do not make victims stabilization actions, do as necessary, and wait for the medical team to arrive at the accident site.
For those who have participated in First Aid response level 1 and level 2, and need a first aid pocketbook in traffic accidents, you can download it from the following link https://indonesiarsp.id/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/buku-saku-rev-11-februari-2020-jam-8.25.pdf.
Therefore, a competent First Responder or emergency response personnel is needed. Once the traffic accidents happen, it races against time to save the lives of the victims.
WHO – Decade of Action, has shares simple instructions, what we can do after an accident occurs, available for download at Post-crash_response_booklet.pdf (who.int).
First Responders are indispensable because:
1. Not everyone on the road knows to conduct a first aid response.
2. The position of the victim of a traffic accident can be of various kinds because it is not just removing the victim from the scene only. If the evacuation action is wrong, it will worsen the condition of the victim.
3. First Responders do not only perform first aid but also perform physical activities to release victims for accident sites, e.g. they are trapped in the cabin.
4. First Responder is integration between medical and mechanical activities to release victims from car, truck, and bus accidents.
This is why first responders are important because:
1. Race against time
2. The injured severity
3. The risk at the location
4. Stabilization of victims, if the level of injury experienced life-threatening.
Evacuate accident victims to get immediate medical treatment.